Wai-Nang Paul Lee, M.D.
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism
Professor of Pediatrics
Director of Biomedical Mass Spectrometry Laboratory
1000 West Carson Street
Torrance, California 90509
Phone: (310) 222-6729
Fax: (310) 222-3887
My area of research is in metabolic phenotyping or metabolic profiling. Metabolic profiling is part of bioinformatic research which is going to have significant impact on the diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases such as obesity and diabetes. Stable isotope (carbon 13 or deuterium) labeled lactate, glycerol and acetate are used to trace metabolic pathways for gluconeogenesis, glycogen synthesis, TCA cycle metabolism and lipid synthesis. The label in metabolic products such as amino acids, membrane lipids and necleic acids will be analyzed by mass spectrometry and determine the rate of conversion.
Currently, such techniques are applied to characterize the metabolic profile of mouse models of diabetes and to study the function of peroxisome, a cell body which is the alternative site for oxidation of fatty acids. Information from such studies can be used for evaluation of candidate drugs and efficacy of current treatments.
American Board of Pediatrics, General Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology
Internship in Pediatrics, Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, Ohio
Residency in Pediatrics, Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital-Case Western Reserve University Hospital, Ohio
Residency in Pediatrics, USC-LAC Medical Center, Pediatric Pavilion, Los Angeles, California
Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, University of California at Los Angeles
M.B.A., California State University, Northridge
M.D., Stanford University, California
B.A., Biochemistry, University of California at Berkeley
1. Zhang H, Cao R, Lee WN, Deng C, Zhao Y, Lappe J, Recker R, Yen Y, Wang Q, Tsai MY, Go VL, Xiao GG. Inhibition of protein phosphorylation in MIA pancreatic cancer cells: confluence of metabolic and signaling pathways. J Proteome Res.2010 Feb 5;9(2):980-9. PMID: 20035555
2. Zhang H, Recker R, Lee WN, Xiao GG. Proteomics in bone research. Expert Rev Proteomics. 2010 Feb;7(1):103-11. PMID: 20121480
3. Alcarraz-Vizán G, Boren J, Lee WN, Cascante M. Histone deacetylase inhibition results in a common metabolic profile associated with HT29 differentiation. Metabolomics. 2010 Jun;6(2):229-237. Epub 2010 Jan 8. PMID: 20445757
4. Vaitheesvaran B, Chueh FY, Xu J, Trujillo C, Saad MF, Lee WN, McGuinness OP, Kurland IJ. Advantages of dynamic "closed loop" stable isotope flux phenotyping over static "open loop" clamps in detecting silent genetic and dietary phenotypes. Metabolomics. 2010 Jun;6(2):180-190. Epub 2009 Nov 12. PMID: 20445758
5. Liu PY, Erkkila K, Lue Y, Jentsch JD, Schwarcz MD, Abuyounes D, Hikim AS, Wang C, Lee PW, Swerdloff RS. Genetic, hormonal, and metabolomic influences on social behavior and sex preference of XXY mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Sep;299(3):E446-55. Epub 2010 Jun 22. PMID: 20570823
6. Byerley LO, Lee WN. Are ethanol and fructose similar? J Am Diet Assoc. 2010 Sep;110(9):1300-1. PMID: 20800120.
7. Selivanov VA, Vizán P, Mollinedo F, Fan TW, Lee PW, Cascante M. Edelfosine-induced metabolic changes in cancer cells that precede the overproduction of reactive oxygen species and apoptosis. BMC Syst Biol. 2010 Oct 6;4:135. PMID: 20925932
8. Yee JK, Lee WN, Han G, Ross MG, Desai M. Organ-specific alterations in fatty acid de novo synthesis and desaturation in a rat model of programmed obesity. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 May 11;10:72. PMID: 21569358
9. Wahjudi PN, K Yee J, Martinez SR, Zhang J, Teitell M, Nikolaenko L, Swerdloff R, Wang C, Lee WN. Turnover of nonessential fatty acids in cardiolipin from the rat heart. J Lipid Res. 2011 Dec;52(12):2226-33. Epub 2011 Sep 27. PMID: 21957203
10. Truong NC, Abbasi A, Sakurai R, Lee WN, Torday JS, Rehan VK. Postnatal rosiglitazone administration to neonatal rat pups does not alter the young adult metabolic phenotype. Neonatology. 2012;101(3):217-24. Epub 2011 Nov 10. PMID: 22076469
11. Zhang J, Khvorostov I, Hong JS, Oktay Y, Vergnes L, Nuebel E, Wahjudi PN, Setoguchi K, Wang G, Do A, Jung HJ, McCaffery JM, Kurland IJ, Reue K, Lee WN, Koehler CM, Teitell MA. UCP2 regulates energy metabolism and differentiation potential of human pluripotent stem cells. EMBO J. 2011 Nov 15;30(24):4860-73. doi: 10.1038/emboj.2011.401. PMID: 22085932
12. Ma D, Wang J, Zhao Y, Lee WN, Xiao J, Go VL, Wang Q, Recker RR, Xiao GG. Inhibition of glycogen phosphorylation induces changes in cellular proteome and signaling pathways in MIA pancreatic cancer cells. Pancreas. 2012 Apr;41(3):397-408. PMID: 22158071
13. Jeoung NH, Rahimi Y, Wu P, Lee WN, Harris RA. Fasting induces ketoacidosis and hypothermia in PDHK2/PDHK4-double-knockout mice. Biochem J. 2012 May 1;443(3):829-39. PMID: 22360721.
14. Patterson ME, Mao CS, Yeh MW, Ipp E, Cortina G, Barank D, Vasinrapee P, Pawlikowska-Haddal A, Lee WN, Yee JK. Hyperinsulinism Presenting In Childhood and Treatment By Conservative Pancreatectomy. Endocr Pract. 2012 May 1:1-14. PMID: 22548943
15. Sierra H, Sakurai R, Lee WN, Truong NC, Torday JS, Rehan VK. Prenatal Rosiglitazone Administration to Neonatal Rat Pups Does Not Alter the Adult Metabolic Phenotype. PPAR Res. 2012;2012:604216. Epub 2012 Jul 3. PMID: 22829803
PubMed Search for Wai-Nang Paul Lee