Ruey-Kang R. Chang, M.D., M.P.H.
Division Chief, Division of Pediatric Cardiology
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
1000 W. Carson St.
Torrance, CA 90509
Phone: (310) 222-4000
Fax: (310) 222-4006
Pediatric cardiologist Ruey-Kang Chang, M.D., M.P.H. has focused his research on public health issues related to infants and children with heart disease.
Educated and trained in public health and clinically trained in pediatric cardiology, Dr. Chang is interested in looking at clinical problems from a public health perspective. His research has centered on the prevention of sudden death from silent or undiagnosed heart conditions. These include infants born with critical congenital heart disease that is not diagnosed in time for proper treatment; hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in competitive athletes; and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), which strikes some 2,500 families in the U.S. each year.
With the NHLBI's Recovery Act funding, Dr. Chang and his team are launching a new inquiry to screen for Jervell and Lange-Nielsen syndrome, a rare hereditary disorder that is a cause for sudden death in infancy and early childhood.
American Board of Pediatrics, General Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Cardiology
Internship and Residency in Pediatrics, UCLA Medical Center
Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology, UCLA Medical Center
M.P.H., School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
M.D., National Taiwan University, College of Medicine, Taipei
1. Prenatal Diagnosis of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: Impact of Counseling Patterns on Parental Perceptions and Decisions Regarding Termination of Pregnancy. Hilton-Kamm D, Chang RK, Sklansky M. Pediatr Cardiol. 2012 May 23. PMID: 22618584
2. Measuring the effects of massage on exercise performance and cardiopulmonary response in children with and without heart disease: a pilot study. Beider S; Boulanger KT; Joshi M; Pan YP; Chang RK; International journal of therapeutic massage & bodywork. 2010;3(3);12-6 PMID: 21589710
3. Fetal echocardiographic evaluation of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). Sklansky M; Renner M; Clough P; Levine G; Campbell M; Stone R; Schmitt T; Chang RK; Shannon-Rodriguez J; Journal of zoo and wildlife medicine : official publication of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians. Mar 2010;41(1);35-43 PMID: 20722252
4. Benefits of care coordination for children with complex disease: a pilot medical home project in a resident teaching clinic. Klitzner TS; Rabbitt LA; Chang RK; The Journal of pediatrics. Jun 2010;156(6);1006-10 PMID: 20223482
5. Impact of palivizumab on RSV hospitalizations for children with hemodynamically significant congenital heart disease. Chang RK; Chen AY; Pediatric cardiology. Jan 2010;31(1);90-5 PMID: 19915892
6. Prenatal screening for major congenital heart disease: superiority of outflow tracts over the 4-chamber view. Sklansky MS; Berman DP; Pruetz JD; Chang RK; Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. Jul 2009;28(7);889-99 PMID: 19546331
7. Screening newborns for congenital heart disease with pulse oximetry: survey of pediatric cardiologists. Chang RK; Rodriguez S; Klitzner TS; Pediatric cardiology. Jan 2009;30(1);20-5
8. Decreasing number of deaths of infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Gordon BM; Rodriguez S; Lee M; Chang RK; The Journal of pediatrics. Sep 2008;153(3);354-8 PMID: 18534240
9. Missed diagnosis of critical congenital heart disease. Chang RK; Gurvitz M; Rodriguez S; Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine. Oct 2008;162(10);969-74 PMID: 18838650
10. Sudden infant death syndrome: changing epidemiologic patterns in California 1989-2004. Chang RK; Keens TG; Rodriguez S; Chen AY; The Journal of pediatrics. Oct 2008;153(4);498-502
11. Growth and weight gain of prepubertal children after cardiac transplantation. Peterson RE; Perens GS; Alejos JC; Wetzel GT; Chang RK; Pediatric transplantation. Jun 2008;12(4);436-41 PMID: 18466430
12. Changes in hospitalization patterns among patients with congenital heart disease during the transition from adolescence to adulthood. Gurvitz MZ; Inkelas M; Lee M; Stout K; Escarce J; Chang RK; Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 27 Feb 2007;49(8);875-82 PMID: 17320746
13. Sex-related disparity in surgical mortality among pediatric patients. Klitzner TS; Lee M; Rodriguez S; Chang RK; Congenital heart disease. May 2006;1(3);77-88 PMID: 18377550
14. Right ventricular abnormalities in sickle cell anemia: evidence of a progressive increase in pulmonary vascular resistance. Qureshi N; Joyce JJ; Qi N; Chang RK; The Journal of pediatrics. Jul 2006;149(1);23-7 PMID: 16860121
15. Risk factors for deaths occurring within 30 days and 1 year after hospital discharge for cardiac surgery among pediatric patients. Chang RK; Rodriguez S; Lee M; Klitzner TS; American heart journal. Aug 2006;152(2);386-93 PMID: 16875927
PubMed Search for Ruey-Kang R. Chang