Patricia Dickson, M.D.
Chief, Division of Medical Genetics
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Phone: (310) 222-3756
Fax: (310) 328-9921
The MPS research lab focuses on finding treatments for the brain in the mucopolysaccharidoses. The mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) are a group of rare genetic diseases. Current projects include intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy for mucopolysaccharidosis type I, immune tolerance to enzyme replacement, and developing enzyme replacement therapy for mucopolysaccharidosis type III.
American Board of Pediatrics
American Board of Medical Genetics
Sub-board certification in Medical Biochemical Genetics
Internship and Residency, Pediatrics, Los Angeles County/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
Chief Residency, Pediatrics, Los Angeles County/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
Fellowship, UCLA Intercampus Medical Genetics Training Program, Los Angeles, CA
M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
A.B., University of Chicago
1. Dickson PI, Briones N, Baylen BG, Jonas AJ, French SW, Lin HJ. Costello syndrome with pancreatic islet cell hyperplasia: comparison to disorders of insulin or insulin-like growth factor pathways. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A, 130:402-405, 2004.
2. Kakkis E, McEntee M, Vogler C, Le S, Levy B, Belichenko P, Mobley W, Dickson P, Hanson S, Passage M. Intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy reduces lysosomal storage in the brain and meninges of the canine model of MPS I. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, 83:163-174, 2004.
3. Belichenko PV, Dickson P, Passage M, Jungles S, Mobley WC, Kakkis E. Penetration, diffusion and uptake of recombinant human α-L-iduronidase after intraventricular injection into the rat brain. Molec Genet Metab 86:141-149, 2005.
4. Tiranti V, Briem E, Lamantea E, Mineri R, Papaleo E, Degioia L, Forlani F, Rinaldo P, Dickson P, Abu-Libdeh B, Cindro-Heberle L, Owaidha M, Jack RM, Christensen E, Burlina A, Zeviani M. ETHE1 mutations are specific to Ethylmalonic Encephalopathy. J Med Genet. 43:340-6, 2006.
5. Dickson P, McEntee M, Vogler C, Le S, Levy B, Peinovich M, Hanson S, Passage M, Kakkis E. Intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy: Successful treatment of brain disease via the cerebrospinal fluid. Molec Genet Metab 91:61-68, 2007.
6. Dickson P, Peinovich M, McEntee M, Lester T, Le S, Krieger A, Manuel H, Jabagat C, Passage M, Kakkis E. Immune tolerance improves the efficacy of enzyme replacement therapy in the canine model of mucopolysaccharidosis I. J Clin Invest, 118:2868-76, 2008.
7. Muñoz-Rojas MV, Costa R, Fagondes Canani S, Jardim L, Vedolin L, Kakkis E, Dickson P, Vieira T, John AB, Raymundo M, Giugliani R. Intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy in a patient with mucopolysaccharidosis type I and symptomatic spinal cord compression. Am J Med Genet, 146A:2538-44, 2008.
8. Passage MB, Krieger AW, Peinovich MC, Lester T, Le SQ, Dickson PI (corresp), Kakkis, ED. Continuous infusion of enzyme replacement therapy is inferior to weekly infusions in MPS I dogs. J Inh Metab Dis, epub June 28, 2009.
9. Carlstrom LP, Jens JK, Dobyns ME, Passage M, Dickson PI, Ellinwood NM. Canine factor VII deficiency: Propagation of inadvertent inherited genetic disease within a canine mucopolysaccharidosis type I research breeding colony. Comp Med, 59: 378-382, 2009.
10. Dickson, PI. Novel treatments and future perspectives: outcomes of intrathecal drug delivery. Int J Clin Pharmacol; 47 (Suppl 1): S124–S127, 2009.
11. Chen AC, Dickson PI. Intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy to treat spinal cord compression in mucopolysaccharidosis: Overview and rationale. J Pediatr Rehab Med, 3:3-1, 2010. Commentary.
12. Dickson PI, Hanson S, McEntee MF, Vite C, Mlikotic A, Chen AH, Ponder KP, Haskins M, Passage MB, Le SQ, Guerra C, Kan S, Dierenfeld A, Jens J, Snella E, Ellinwood NM. Early versus late treatment of spinal cord compression with long-term intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy in canine mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Mol Genet Metab, 101:115-122, 2010.
13. Dierenfeld AD, McEntee MF, Passage M, Le S, Jens JK, Snella EM, Kline KL, Parkes JD, Ware WA, Moran LE, Wengert JA, Whitley RD, Betts DM, Boal AM, Riedesel EA, Gross W, Ellinwood NM, Dickson PI, Replacing the enzyme α-L-iduronidase at birth ameliorates symptoms in the brain and periphery of dogs with mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Sci Transl Med, 2:60ra89, 2010.
14. Dickson PI, Pariser AR, Groft SC, Ishihara RW, McNeil DE, Tagle D, Griebel DJ, Kaler SG, Mink JW, Shapiro EG, Bjoraker KJ, Krivitzky L, Provenzale JM, Gropman A, Orchard P, Raymond G, Cohen BH, Steiner RD, Goldkind SF, Nelson RM, Kakkis E, Patterson MC. Research challenges in CNS manifestations of inborn errors of metabolism. Mol Genet Metab, 102(3):326-38, 2011.
15. J.A. Lyons, P. Dickson, N.M. Ellinwood, M. Passage, J. Wall, E.D. Kakkis, M.F. McEntee. Arterial pathology in canine mucopolysaccharidosis-I and response to therapy. Lab Invest, 91, 665–674, 2011.
PubMed Search for Patricia I. Dickson