Lynda E. Polgreen, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
1124 West Carson Street, RB-1, Rm 213
Torrance, CA 90502
Phone: (310) 222-1961
Dr. Polgreen's research focus is on musculoskeletal disease in the Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) and the immunologic effects of vitamin D. Current projects include identification of biomarkers that predict disease severity in MPS, inflammatory pathways involved in MPS related skeletal disease, anti-inflammatory therapy in MPS, and the role of vitamin D in immune response to malaria infection.
Diplomat, American Board of Pediatric Endocrinology
Diplomat, American Board of Pediatrics
Fellowship, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Residency, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Internship, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Master’s in Clinical Research, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
M.D., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
B.S. in Biology (summa cum laude), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
1. Polgreen LE, Tolar J, Plog M, Himes JH, Orchard PJ, Whitley CB, Miller BS, Petryk A. Growth and endocrine function in children with Hurler syndrome after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008 Jun;41(12):1005-11.
2. Polgreen LE, Plog M, Schwender JD, Tolar J, Thomas W, Orchard PJ, Miller BS, Petryk A. Short-term growth hormone treatment in children with Hurler syndrome after hematopoietic cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009 Sep;44(5):279-85. (PMCID3071029)
3. L.E. Polgreen, B.S. Miller. Growth and growth hormone in the mucopolysaccharidoses. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2010 Apr 19;3(1):25-38. (PMCID2886985)
4. Polgreen LE, Petryk A, Dietz AC, Sinaiko AR, Leisenring W, Goodman P, Steffen LM, Perkins JL, Dengel DR, Baker KS, Steinberger J. Modifiable risk factors associated with bone deficits in childhood cancer survivors. BMC Pediatr. 2012 Mar 28;12:40. (PMCID3352180)
5. Polgreen LE, Rudser K, Deyo M, Smith A, Baker KS, Petryk A. Changes in biomarkers of bone resorption over the first six months after pediatric hematopoietic cell transplantation. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 Dec;16(8):852-7. (PMCID3492510)
6. Carras N, Polgreen LE, Ogilvie C, Manivel JC, Skubitz KM, Lipsitz E. An interesting case of metastatic giant cell tumor of bone in a 10 year old girl, and subsequent denosumab treatment results. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Apr 20;31(12):e200-2. (PMCID3492510)
7. Polgreen LE, Thomas W, Fung E, Viskochil D, Stevenson DA, Steinberger J, Orchard P, Whitley CB, Ensrud KE. Low Bone Mineral Content and Challenges in Interpretation of Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry in Children With Mucopolysaccharidosis Types I, II, and VI. J Clin Densitom. 2014 Jan-Mar;17(1):200-6. (NIHMS463417)
8. Fujiyoshi A, Polgreen LE, Hurley DL, Gross MD, Sidney S, Jacobs DR Jr. A cross-sectional association between bone mineral density and parathyroid hormone and other biomarkers in community-dwelling young adults: the CARDIA study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Oct;98(10):4038-46.
9. Thawrani D, Walker K, Polgreen LE, Tolar J, Orchard PJ. Hip dysplasia in patients with Hurler syndrome (mucopolysaccharidoses type IH). J Pediatr Orthop. 2013 Sep;33(6):635-43.
10. Gustafson KL, Eckerle JK, Howard CR, Andrews B, Polgreen LE. Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in International Adoptees within the First Six Months after Adoption. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2013 Dec;52(12):1149-53.
11. Polgreen LE, Thomas W, Orchard PJ, Whitley CB, Miller BS. Effect of recombinant human growth hormone on changes in height, bone mineral density, and body composition over 1-2 years in children with Hurler or Hunter syndrome. Mol Genet Metab. 2014 Feb;111(2):101-6.
12. Petryk A, Polgreen LE, Zhang L, Hodges JS, Dengel DR, Hoffmeister PA, Steinberger J, Baker KS. Bone mineral deficits in recipients of hematopoietic cell transplantation: the impact of young age at transplant. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2014 Feb;49(2):258-63.
13. McCauley LA, Thomas W, Laguna TA, Regelmann WE, Moran A, Polgreen LE. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with pulmonary exacerbations in children with cystic fibrosis. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014 Feb;11(2):198-204.
14. Stevenson DA, Rudser K, Kunin-Batson A, Fung EB, Viskochil D, Shapiro E, Orchard PJ, Whitley CB, Polgreen LE. Biomarkers of Bone Remodeling in Children with Mucopolysaccharidosis Types I, II, and VI. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2014 Jan 1;7(2):159-65.
15. Cusick S, Opoka RO, Lund TC, John CC, Polgreen LE. Vitamin D insufficiency is common in Ugandan children and is associated with severe malaria. PLOS ONE (in press)