Laszlo G. Boros, M.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism
1000 W. Carson St.
Torrance, CA 90509
Phone: (310) 222-1856
Fax: (310) 222-3887
Dr. Boros is currently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at UCLA and the Co-Director of the Stable Isotope Research Laboratory at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center with a primary focus on studying cancer cell metabolism with the use of a specifically designed glucose tracer and mass spectroscopy. Born and educated in Hungary, Dr. Boros' medical background includes three years of gastroenterology and pancreatology, focusing on chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. He spent two years as a visiting scholar in Essen, Germany, studying various animal models of chronic pancreatitis. In 1990, he moved to Columbus, Ohio, where he joined the history-making laboratory of Drs. Zollinger and Ellison, who described hormonal regulatory mechanisms involved in pancreatic cancer growth with a primary emphasis on diagnostics and treatment. In 1995 he became the lead investigator to apply stable isotope technologies to study cancer growth in vitro and in animal models at UCLA. He is an expert in using metabolic profiling and nanotechnology to further understanding of aggressive growth in inflammatory breast cancer and other particularly aggressive cancers. Dr. Boros also participates in research projects targeting population metabolic disorders, such as diabetes and obesity, and is involved in discovering the underlying mechanisms of rare metabolic disorders arising from genetic mutations affecting vitamin transport.
Dr. Boros is the recipient of the C. Williams Hall Outstanding Publication Award from the Academy of Surgical Research of the USA (1997), the Richard E. Weitzman Memorial Research Award from the University of California (2001) and the Excellence in Clinical Research Award from the General Clinical Research Center at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (2004). He is an active member of the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Pancreatic Association, the American Physiological Society and the American Gastroenterological Association. Dr. Boros is currently serving on the Editorial Boards of the journals Pancreas and Metabolomics as well as on various peer review panels including Hormone & Metabolic Research, Engineering Research Council of Canada, Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry, Analytical Biochemistry, Dutch Cancer Society (Nederlandse Kankerbestrijding), Oncogene, Nutrition & Cancer as well as the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) Letters.
Post Doctoral Researcher, Hungarian Academy of Science, Szeged, Hungary
Visiting Scholar, Essen School of Medicine, Essen, Germany
Research Scientist, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
M.D., Szeged School of Medicine, Szeged, Hungary
1. Lee WN, Guo P, Lim S, Bassilian S, Lee ST, Boren J, Cascante M, Go VL, Boros LG. Metabolic sensitivity of pancreatic tumour cell apoptosis to glycogen phosphorylase inhibitor treatment. Br J Cancer. 2004 Dec 13;91(12):2094-100. PMID: 15599384
2. Eibl G, Takata Y, Boros LG, Liu J, Okada Y, Reber HA, Hines OJ. Growth stimulation of COX-2-negative pancreatic cancer by a selective COX-2 inhibitor. Cancer Res. 2005 Feb 1;65(3):982-90. PubMed PMID: 15705899.
3. Boros LG, Nichelatti M, Shoenfeld Y. Fermented wheat germ extract (Avemar) in the treatment of cancer and autoimmune diseases. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1051:529-42. Review. PMID: 16126993
4. Rehan VK, Wang Y, Sugano S, Santos J, Patel S, Sakurai R, Boros LG, Lee WP, Torday JS. In utero nicotine exposure alters fetal rat lung alveolar type II cell proliferation, differentiation, and metabolism. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Jan;292(1):L323-33. Erratum in: Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Sep;293(3):L820. Boros, Laszlo W [corrected to Boros, Laszlo G]. PMID: 17215434
5. Huang J, Gabrielsen JS, Cooksey RC, Luo B, Boros LG, Jones DL, Jouihan HA, Soesanto Y, Knecht L, Hazel MW, Kushner JP, McClain DA. Increased glucose disposal and AMP-dependent kinase signaling in a mouse model of hemochromatosis. J Biol Chem. 2007 Dec 28;282(52):37501-7. Epub 2007 Oct 30. PMID: 17971451
6. Vazquez A, Beg QK, Demenezes MA, Ernst J, Bar-Joseph Z, Barabási AL, Boros LG, Oltvai ZN. Impact of the solvent capacity constraint on E. coli metabolism. BMC Syst Biol. 2008 Jan 23;2:7. PMID: 18215292
7. Boros LG, Deng Q, Pandol SJ, Tsukamoto H, Go VL, Lee WN. Ethanol diversely alters palmitate, stearate, and oleate metabolism in the liver and pancreas of rats using the deuterium oxide single tracer. Pancreas. 2009 Mar;38(2):e47-52. PMID: 19248221
8. Kominsky DJ, Klawitter J, Brown JL, Boros LG, Melo JV, Eckhardt SG, Serkova NJ. Abnormalities in glucose uptake and metabolism in imatinib-resistant human BCR-ABL-positive cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 May 15;15(10):3442-50. Epub 2009 Apr 28. PMID: 19401345
9. Beger RD, Hansen DK, Schnackenberg LK, Cross BM, Fatollahi JJ, Lagunero FT, Sarnyai Z, Boros LG. Single valproic acid treatment inhibits glycogen and RNA ribose turnover while disrupting glucose-derived cholesterol synthesis in liver as revealed by the [U-C(6)]-d-glucose tracer in mice. Metabolomics. 2009 Sep;5(3):336-345. Epub 2009 Mar 31. PMID: 19718458
10. Espinoza DO, Boros LG, Crunkhorn S, Gami H, Patti ME. Dual modulation of both lipid oxidation and synthesis by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha and -1beta in cultured myotubes. FASEB J. 2010 Apr;24(4):1003-14. Epub 2009 Nov 11. PMID: 19906680
11. Liu H, Huang D, McArthur DL, Boros LG, Nissen N, Heaney AP. Fructose induces transketolase flux to promote pancreatic cancer growth. Cancer Res. 2010 Aug 1;70(15):6368-76. Epub 2010 Jul 20. PubMed PMID: 20647326
12. Gu W, Lloyd DJ, Chinookswong N, Komorowski R, Sivits G Jr, Graham M, Winters KA, Yan H, Boros LG, Lindberg RA, Véniant MM. Pharmacological targeting of glucagon and glucagon-like peptide 1 receptors has different effects on energy state and glucose homeostasis in diet-induced obese mice. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011 Jul;338(1):70-81. Epub 2011 Apr 6. PubMed PMID: 21471191
13. Huang D, Dhawan T, Young S, Yong WH, Boros LG, Heaney AP. Fructose impairs glucose-induced hepatic triglyceride synthesis. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Jan 24;10:20. PMID: 21261970
14. Sonko BJ, Schmitt TC, Guo L, Shi Q, Boros LG, Leakey JE, Beger RD. Assessment
of usnic acid toxicity in rat primary hepatocytes using ¹³C isotopomer distribution analysis of lactate, glutamate and glucose. Food Chem Toxicol. 2011 Nov;49(11):2968-74. Epub 2011 Jul 23. PMID: 21802472
15. Harris DM, Li L, Chen M, Lagunero FT, Go VL, Boros LG. Diverse mechanisms of growth inhibition by luteolin, resveratrol, and quercetin in MIA PaCa-2 cells: a comparative glucose tracer study with the fatty acid synthase inhibitor C75. Metabolomics. 2012 Apr 1;8(2):201-210. Epub 2011 Mar 25. PMID: 22754424
PubMed Search for Laszlo G. Boros