1000 W. Carson Street
Torrance, CA 90502
Phone: (310) 222-3091
Fax: (310) 533-8579
Carol Berkowitz is currently Executive Vice Chair in the Department of Pediatrics at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. She is a former President of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and has held numerous other national leadership positions including President of the Ambulatory Pediatric Association (APA, now the Academic Pediatric Association), President of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD), Chair of the Residency Review Committee (RRC) for Pediatrics, Chair of the Council of RRC Chairs, and President of the Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS). Dr. Berkowitz has served on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) and the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). She is a delegate from the AAP to the American Medical Association (AMA) and serves on the AMA’s Council on Medical Education.
Dr. Berkowitz's interests focus on women in medicine, medical education, pediatric emergency medicine and child maltreatment. In 2006, she was the recipient of the Joseph W. St. Geme Jr. Leadership Award, and in 2007, she received the Abraham Jacobi Memorial Award, an acknowledgement by both the AAP and the AMA for her numerous contributions to the health and well-being of children and to the pediatric community. She is the author of several hundred articles and book chapters and is the editor of Berkowitz’s Pediatrics: A Primary Care Approach, a textbook now in its 4th edition.
She is married to David Berkowitz, M.D., a gastroenterologist, and is the proud mother of two daughters, Nicole and Ellie, and the grandmother of four.
American Board of Pediatrics, General Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics, Child Abuse Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics/American Board of Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Internship and Residency in Pediatrics, Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY
M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
1. Berkowitz CD. Sudden infant death syndrome, sudden unexpected infant death, and apparent life-threatening events. Adv Pediatr. 2012;59(1):183-208. PMID: 22789579.
2. Berkowitz CD. Healing of genital injuries. J Child Sex Abus. 2011 Sep;20(5):537-47. Review. PMID: 21970645
3. Berkowitz CD, Frintner MP, Cull WL. Pediatric resident perceptions of family-friendly benefits. Acad Pediatr. 2010 Sep-Oct;10(5):360-6. Epub 2010 Aug 7. PMID: 20692217
4. Berkowitz CD. Sex offender registration: balancing the rights of the individual with the public good--a commentary on Comartin, Kernsmith, and Miles (2010). J Child Sex Abus. 2010 Mar;19(2):226-30. PMID: 20390789
5. Egge MK, Berkowitz CD, Toms C, Sathyavagiswaran L. The choking game: a cause of unintentional strangulation. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010 Mar;26(3):206-8. PMID: 20216282
6. Egge MK, Berkowitz CD. Controversies in the evaluation of young children with fractures. Adv Pediatr. 2010;57(1):63-83. Review. PMID: 21056735
7. Rothman DJ, McDonald WJ, Berkowitz CD, Chimonas SC, DeAngelis CD, Hale RW, Nissen SE, Osborn JE, Scully JH Jr, Thomson GE, Wofsy D. Professional medical associations and their relationships with industry: a proposal for controlling conflict of interest. JAMA. 2009 Apr 1;301(13):1367-72. PMID: 19336712
8. Berkowitz CD. Child pornography: legal and medical considerations. Adv Pediatr. 2009;56:203-18. Review. PMID: 19968950
9. Berkowitz CD. Child abuse recognition and reporting: supports and resources for changing the paradigm. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep;122 Suppl 1:S10-2. Epub 2008 Aug 1. PMID: 18676508
10. Berkowitz CD. The need for a developmental approach to adolescent decision-making. Am J Bioeth. 2005 Sep-Oct;5(5):77-8. PMID: 16179325
11. Berkowitz CD. Recognizing and responding to domestic violence. Pediatr Ann. 2005 May;34(5):395-401. Review. PMID: 15948350
12. Berkowitz CD. Domestic violence: a pediatric concern. Pediatr Rev. 2004 Sep;25(9):306-11. Review. PMID: 15342821
13. Berkowitz CD. Projecting, predicting, shaping: the challenge of workforce models. Pediatrics. 2004 Apr;113(4):918-9. PMID: 15060246
14. Berkowitz CD. Cosleeping: benefits, risks, and cautions. Adv Pediatr. 2004;51:329-49. Review. PMID: 15366779
15. Cull WL, Yudkowsky BK, Schonfeld DJ, Berkowitz CD, Pan RJ. Research exposure during pediatric residency: influence on career expectations. J Pediatr. 2003 Nov;143(5):564-9. PMID: 14615723
PubMed Search for Carol Berkowitz